When buying a home, one of the things buyers have questions about is the home inspection. Home inspections are usually done by a certified home inspector. It involves an overall general inspection of some of the appliances and the home itself both evaluating their condition and educating the home buyer on maintenance requirements.
Why it's important to have a home inspection
A buyer should have a home inspection for several reasons, but most importantly to get a knowledgeable and independent evaluation of the home and appliances condition. In some cases, home inspections can save the buyer thousands of dollars in repairs.
When should a home inspection occur
Once you have an accepted offer on a home, the buyer should call to set up the home inspection.
Other People Have Asked:
What is covered during home inspections
- Foundations, Basements, and Structures Basement floor and walls, proper drainage and ventilation, evidence of water seepage
- Roof , type and material, condition of gutters and downspout
- Exterior Siding, Windows, and Doors, Exterior walls, porches, decks, balconies, and garage
- Interior Walls, Ceilings, Floors, Windows,Doors,stairways, cabinets, and countertops
- Interior Plumbing System, Hot and cold water system, the waste system and sewage disposal, water pressure and flow, and hot water equipment
- Electrical System Type of service, number of circuits, type of protection, outlet grounding, and load balance
- Central Heating System Energy source, type of cooling equipment, capacity, and distribution
- Attic Structural, insulation, and ventilation information
- Fireplace Chimney, damper, and masonry
- Garage Doors, walls, floor, and opener
- Appliances Built-in and other home appliances, smoke detectors, and television/cable hookups
- Lot and Landscaping, Ground slopes away from foundation, condition of walks, steps, and driveways
How long does it take to do a home inspection
Home inspections usually takes about 3-5 hours, but it depends on both the size of the home and the scope of the inspection.
How much does a home inspection cost
Each home inspector sets their own fees, but you should expect to pay $300-$400 for a home inspection. Some home inspectors will also do both WDI(Wood Destroying Insect) and radon inspections for extra fees.
Are there any other inspections that are recommended
In addition to a home inspection, a WDI(wood destroying insect, sometimes called a termite inspection), and a radon inspection(which checks for a radioactive gas) are done. If a fireplace is present, a chimney inspection is recommended. If a swimming pool is present, a pool inspection is recommended. Well and septic inspections are recommended for home without public water and sewer. Hopefully, that give you an idea of what home inspections are all about!